random suggestions

TrueLies

First and foremost, thank you for this wonderful server. We know there are bugs and you are a one man show with limited time. Here are a few low priority suggestions:

1. Related to the "forward drops to party leader" - - - if the party leader's inventory is full, the drops are left on the ground. I kindly suggest if a party leader's inventory is full, the Forward function be turned off automatically so the drops are picked up. 

2. When players get stuck and relog, they are often moved to their party. I kindly suggest in ToI or anywhere with multiple floors, you allow a 1-level jump to party function as part of this relog feature. ToI is very glitchy this way. Not only running up but simply farming I often find a character stuck, relog, then am a floor below which causes problems, especially when it is the main assist / leader which happened to me today. 

3. For server downtime, rather than say 30-45 minutes, choose a fixed time such as 1 hour and schedule the server to allow logins at that time. It allows player to actually step away during downtime rather than spamming the login server after 15 minutes of downtime wondering if the server is up. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Toggle Staff
5 hours ago, TrueLies said:

First and foremost, thank you for this wonderful server. We know there are bugs and you are a one man show with limited time. Here are a few low priority suggestions:

Thanks for the kind words, it really means a lot and give that extra motivation to push forward!

1. Related to the "forward drops to party leader" - - - if the party leader's inventory is full, the drops are left on the ground. I kindly suggest if a party leader's inventory is full, the Forward function be turned off automatically so the drops are picked up. 

Great point. I'll see what I can do. Maybe not disabling the command, because people might not be aware of it and comeback to inventory mess after next session. I think I can add a check if PL inventory is not full as a condition to forward drops.

2. When players get stuck and relog, they are often moved to their party. I kindly suggest in ToI or anywhere with multiple floors, you allow a 1-level jump to party function as part of this relog feature. ToI is very glitchy this way. Not only running up but simply farming I often find a character stuck, relog, then am a floor below which causes problems, especially when it is the main assist / leader which happened to me today. 

Oh geodata, my arch-nemesis. I'd like it to be fixed instead, but I know the frustration and a solution is way past due. I don't see an easy way how to automate this through the engine (if I had time and knowledge to work on it, again, I'd rather fix it instead), but maybe a .command would be a somewhat solution? I don't really like it as a solution to begin with, but if we do a temporary "hack-patch" I'd rather not spend much time on it. Thoughts?

3. For server downtime, rather than say 30-45 minutes, choose a fixed time such as 1 hour and schedule the server to allow logins at that time. It allows player to actually step away during downtime rather than spamming the login server after 15 minutes of downtime wondering if the server is up. 

Good point. Usually I leave the window in-case something doesn't work in production. The update itself doesn't take more than 5 minutes, but I take extra time to update OS, backup and export logs/DB and restart the machine so it would be more stable. So setting an alarm to come back and turn back on the server doesn't make sense as I need to make sure it's up and stable before announcing it anyway. I understand that it would more professional that way though. How about next time I announce that the downtime is 1 hour, but turn it on when I have to and use the extra time as a safety net in-case something fails?

• Like 2

• Editor
23 hours ago, Mantosh said:

Good point. Usually I leave the window in-case something doesn't work in production. The update itself doesn't take more than 5 minutes, but I take extra time to update OS, backup and export logs/DB and restart the machine so it would be more stable. So setting an alarm to come back and turn back on the server doesn't make sense as I need to make sure it's up and stable before announcing it anyway. I understand that it would more professional that way though. How about next time I announce that the downtime is 1 hour, but turn it on when I have to and use the extra time as a safety net in-case something fails?

Sounds resonable. 

"You have to make hay while you can make hay"

image.png.cfa8b9586085a098ff8bf7d3265d9a7e.png

That works. 

I think on official at one point they handled this situation by putting the servers up but scheduling the login servers to disable logins until a specified time. That allowed GMs or others with special permissions to log in and test what they needed to while preventing players from logging in. 

On this topic, what servers are involved here? Is there a login server, mob server and game server as 3 separate pieces of hardware? Or are they virtualized on a single server? or ???

On 6/25/2020 at 1:23 PM, TrueLies said:

This is a god tier suggestion. Thank you.